The minutes, hours and days following a serious accident are often very stressful. However, in order to get the compensation that you deserve for your injuries, you must act cautiously and carefully. Take these 10 steps to help protect your right to recovery:
- Get medical help for your injuries first and foremost.
- Unless and until you are completely healed after an accident,make sure your medical care and treatments continue consistently. Extended gaps of time between appointments can provide the defense an argument that the later medical care was not the result of the accident. Make sure you are thorough and detailed in your descriptions to medical professionals of both the physical and mental harm the accident or injury has caused you.
- Record and retain names and contact information for anyone who witnessed or was involved in your accident, including address and telephone number.
- Photograph all damage and injuries resulting from the accident. This includes damage to a vehicle or other property, as well as visible physical injuries.
- Whatever type of accident you were involved in, save any and all physical evidence. Label it, so you remember its relevance to the accident. Evidence could include a defective product that caused the accident or injury or the receipt from the store where you had a slip-and-fall accident.
- Seek representation from a qualified personal injury lawyer as soon as you can.
- Write down the details of the accident and your injuries. You should only share this with your lawyer and no one else.
- Avoid providing written or recorded statements to insurance companies or adjusters, in person or on the telephone. Direct insurance companies to speak with your attorney.
- Have a medical professional write you an excuse for any work you have missed due to the accident. Do this even if you work for yourself. Do not sign anything with the insurance company unless instructed by your attorney.
- Avoid signing ANYTHING without your lawyer's approval. It is best to get approval from your lawyer before signing documents of any kind.
Call our Sacramento attorneys as soon after your accident as possible to ensure that your rights are protected. Schedule a free consultation with one of our lawyers; call (916) 476-2399. Remember, you do not pay a fee until we win.
A serious accident, whether it is a motor vehicle collision, a slip-and-fall or some other type of accident, can turn your life upside down in a matter of moments. Not only do you have to worry about recovering from your injuries, you also have to figure out how you will pay for your medical bills and make up the pay you may have lost from missing work.
The good news is that working with a dedicated personal injury lawyer means that you can focus on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer fights to get you full and fair compensation for your monetary losses.
An Investigation Must Be Completed Immediately
Following an accident, an immediate investigation is crucial to ensure that important evidence and witness testimonials are preserved. At Piering Law Firm, we have an investigator on staff, which means that we can respond quickly while the evidence is still fresh and intact. We also work with accident reconstructionists who will uncover the cause of your accident. We will use all of these resources to build the strongest possible case for you.