Skip to Content

What Damages Can I Seek After an Accident?

woman neck hurt in car

Car accidents can happen in the blink of an eye, leaving you with physical injuries, emotional trauma, and financial stress. Fortunately, if you were not at fault for the accident, you may be able to recover damages from the other party's insurance company or through a personal injury lawsuit. Damages refer to the losses you suffered as a result of the accident and are classified into different types, including:

Economic Damages

Economic damages are the direct financial losses you suffered due to the accident. These damages are intended to compensate you for the expenses you incurred or will incur in the future. Examples of economic damages include:

  • Medical expenses: This includes the cost of hospitalization, medication, doctor visits, physical therapy, and any other medical treatment that you need as a result of the accident.

  • Property damage: This includes the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle and any other property damaged in the accident.

  • Lost wages: If you could not work due to your injuries, you could recover the wages you lost during that time. You may also be able to recover future lost wages if your injuries will prevent you from working in the future.

Non-Economic Damages

Non-economic damages refer to losses that are not financial in nature but still impact your overall quality of life. These damages are intended to compensate you for the pain and suffering, emotional distress, and other intangible losses you suffered from the accident. Examples of non-economic damages include:

  • Pain and suffering: This includes the physical pain you experienced due to the accident and the emotional distress you suffered as a result.

  • Emotional distress: This includes any mental or emotional trauma that you experienced as a result of the accident, such as anxiety, depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

  • Loss of consortium refers to the loss of companionship or intimacy with a spouse or partner due to the accident.

Punitive Damages

In certain cases, the court may award punitive damages in addition to economic and non-economic damages. Punitive damages are intended to punish the other party for their reckless or intentional behavior that led to the accident. These damages are typically awarded in cases where the other party was driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol or was engaging in other dangerous behavior behind the wheel.

Statute of Limitations

It's important to note that there is a statute of limitations for personal injury claims in California. This means you only have a certain amount of time to file a lawsuit after the accident. California's statute of limitations for personal injury claims is two years from the accident date. If you fail to file a lawsuit within this time frame, you may lose your right to seek damages.

Contact an Experienced Attorney

If you have been involved in a car accident and have suffered injuries or other damages, it's important to seek the help of an experienced personal injury attorney. An attorney can help you navigate the complexities of the legal system, negotiate with insurance companies, and help you obtain the compensation you deserve. You can focus on your recovery while your attorney fights for your rights with the right to legal representation.

Our Firm Can Help

If you've been in a car accident in California, it's important to know your rights and the damages that you may be able to seek. From economic damages like medical expenses and lost wages to non-economic injuries like pain, suffering, and emotional distress, various types of compensation can help ease a car accident's financial and emotional burden. If you need legal help, contact our team of experienced personal injury attorneys here at Piering Law Firm who can guide you through the process and help you obtain the best possible outcome.

Learn more about how the team at Piering Law Firm can help you file a claim and protect your rights if you are in an accident by calling (916) 476-2399 or by visiting our website.

Share To: