Skip to Content

What If You Lose Someone in a Car Crash

Young woman comforting older woman in support group.

If you lost someone you love in a car crash, you are not alone. Each year, more than 40,000 Americans lose their lives in motor vehicle accidents. Recovering from the loss of a loved one takes time and the love and support of those around you. To help in this, we’ve put together our advice and guidance to help you and your family move forward.

Seek Support

Each of us grieves differently. After a fatal crash, you might have feelings of anger or guilt, wondering if there’s anything you could have done differently. While these feelings are natural, dwelling on them will not change what happened.

When faced with emotional trauma, it’s often helpful to seek support from your friends and family. Be honest and let them know how you’re feeling. If you’d prefer to talk with others who have gone through a similar situation, you may wish to turn to a crash support group. These are local meetings where survivors of car crashes can talk openly about their experiences and help others during a difficult time.

Talk to an Attorney

When you’ve lost someone you love because of someone else’s negligence, you deserve justice. In many cases, family members of those lost in a fatal car crash can pursue a wrongful death claim. This is a means of holding the at-fault driver responsible while providing the family with compensation for emotional damages, property damages, and funeral-related expenses.

The average funeral costs around $9,000 and most Americans aren’t financially prepared for an unexpected tragedy. The right attorney can help you find the support structure you need while also covering your bills and taking care of the paperwork, allowing you to grieve and move forward.

If you or someone you love suffered serious injuries or even wrongful death in a car crash, you might need an attorney who puts people first. If you’d like an experienced Sacramento personal injury lawyer from Piering Law Firm to evaluate your case, please send us an email or call (916) 476-2399.